Concession Reform
Through Whose Eyes
The High Water of 1957
A Flood Coming...
Old Boats
An Invitation
That Which Takes Away
Water Treatment for Rafters

the journal of Grand Canyon River Guides, Inc.
volume 7   number 4                                fall 1994

Barry Goldwater

My grandfather used to trade on the river. He hauled his supplies up from the mouth of the river, in boats, and founded the town of Ehrenberg, and settled at La Paz. So the family sort of got its start on the Colorado River. That’s what made me interested in it. The Grand Canyon I first saw when I was about eight or nine years old.

Someplace in all my junk I’ve got a picture that Emery took out of his studio, starting down. I was just a little thing... I walked down and rode the mule back up.

I don’t think it occurred to anybody much then, to run the river. Nobody had run it in many years, and then about 1923, I think it was, the dam projects came down. There were twenty-three dam sites on the Colorado River, and they were trying to pick out the dam sites that might be most beneficially built. That was way before the fight started between people who wanted dams and people who didn’t want dams. That came… Oh, that was later. That was probably in the 1940s.

I was reading a newspaper one day, and I saw an article in it that a man in Mexican Hat was going to go down the river, and he was going to take passengers. His name was Norman Nevills.

Full Story